Pages

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Relationships matter pt 2: "Listening to Voices"

Each year we are responsible for the learning success of a group of students. Whether they are on your attendance roster, or someone whose facial features is a silent cry for help, our calling as educators draws us to help. Yet this instinctive desire is often buried by the numerous tasks and pressures that compete in loud voices demanding attention.

Sometimes, as we scan students, noting with our instincts needs for support, we need to pause, mute everything else that shout demands, and

listen to the student.

In this video, what does the student struggle to communicate...in scene one,...two,...the rest of the video...



Think back on a student or students you're recently noticed concerns---a need to listen. Check in with that student, pause, mute external demands, listen...

What do you hear?

2 comments:

  1. This is one of those movies that should speak to everyone in some way. Since I'm not a teacher I can only say that what walked away from that secquence of scenes was that to find the right direction for one person, or student in this case might not be the same for the other. As a parent I would look for some way to relate to my childs thinking in a way that would make sense to her. If not me my husband migh take a swing at it. In some cases it has worked and some others she's figured things out on her own. It's a wonder to see how children learn.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great perspective.

    Parents have more practice with this, especially if they have 2 or more children. Each child is different, responds differently. At least that's what I find in my experience. Teachers, particularly those who have children of their own, have a chance to apply what they know about raising kids to how they raise student learners.
    That was my epiphany when I had my first child. It was the startling understanding that I needed to support my students as I wanted for my child. Listening to their voice is crucial to identifying and supporting their unique needs.
    When it does not happen, which sadly is often when we succumb to excuses regarding the challenge of class size...
    it is a wonder that children learn.

    ReplyDelete