Pages

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Thing 13: Admin & Teaching - Tagging

Online bookmarking is a useful way to maintain bookmarks in a productive fashion through such sites as Delicious. What makes this useful for my personal use and as an instructional tool is Tagging. The concept of tagging is to assign keywords to bookmarks to categorize them. Traditionally in bookmarking on a computer browser, you set up folders and drop the bookmarks in. I tend to put the same bookmark into different folders based on usage. For example, Amazon is a site I might keep in a Shopping folder and the Education folder. With tagging, I assign the keywords: Shopping and Education. Selecting either keyword gives me a list of sites I have in that category. Students can learn the value of identifying keywords through this meaningful approach, and then use the same thinking when doing online research.

No comments:

Post a Comment