Pages

Wednesday, February 18, 2009

More Reflections about Web 2.0: Cell Phone use for learning


Whenever cell phone use in the classroom comes up, there's excitement about the possibilities for learning and engagement. Inevitably roadblocks are raised because of the potential abuses or inequity of resources. Suddenly the energized conversation bogs down and is mired in the "why it's not possible." Reminds me of the conversations around using the Internet for learning 15 years ago. The unknown, or rather "unfamiliar", can be the biggest obstacle to the richness and freedom that comes with possibility. In this case, using cell phones to support student learning.

Resources:

Children using cell phones to chat or pass answers is as challenging to deal with as those students who pass notes and conceal text books or notes during tests. During a test, if we're walking around the room, proximity inhibits cheating of "any" fashion. I can't imagine any instructor sitting behind their desk while administering a test. Can you? It's not that I don't trust my students, movement around the classroom helps keep them focused and makes me available to offer guidance, not answers.

For those industrious students who think of and plot out innovative ways to circumvent the rules, I want to find ways to channel that energy for "good." Thinking about it now, those kids are our future engineers, inventors, scientists, and teachers. No, I'm not implying anything shady here. Those occupations require ingenuity and thinking outside of the box.

Concern for misuse of cell phones is a serious issue to problem solve. The approach to finding answers could be best effective if we look for ways how to do, and not let fear or unfamiliarity forces us into a U-Turn.


4 comments:

  1. Interesting youtube post. I'm too young to remember the "pre-internet" years and yet I still feel hesitant of cell phones. I would also want to make sure that I got a "school issued" phone b/c I sure wouldn't want to waste/pay to receive all of my students' text messages. I need to save those to gossip with my friends:-P

    Additionally, as shown in the video clip, the administration would need to be involved with the integration of cell phones into learning. I sure wouldn't want to be known as the teacher who lets her students bring cell phones to class by my co-workers as we try to "crack down" on offenders of our no cellphone policy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in complete agreement on administration. They must be involved from the beginning. They do not like being taken by surprise. One way to go about it is to conduct a pilot of 1 to 4 teachers to explore the process. Have tight guidelines that students can easily follow to know when they can and cannot have phones out. This will ease some pressure from colleagues who are hesitant about such a program going forward.
    In 1998, I was part of a pilot for classroom websites in the district I worked in. At that time, administration was nervous about teachers publishing their own sites without oversight, and worried how students might abuse the experience. The process had many bumps along the way, and was quite successful because administration and teachers worked together on how best to proceed.
    Successful cell phone usage will need a similar collaboration.
    I wish you well. Let me know if I can assist.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of cell phones being used in classrooms as learning tools. I don't mean all the time and for everything, but there is a place for them. I would love to visit a classroom where they are used and talk to both the teacher and students about it. We are often afraid of what we don't know or understand.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We don't know what we don't know. What's great for a classroom teacher is that your classroom is your laboratory. Can't wait to hear how your class could be the example that others refer to. :)

    ReplyDelete