Pages

Monday, February 16, 2009

Thing 1 (23): Learn about Web 2.0 pt.2

Video: Pay Attention

Dendrites are growing! OMG! This is just the video I need in my work with staff on differentiated instruction and instructional needs by diverse learners. I love the section, among others, about cell phone use as an instructional tools. Many high schools in my area ban cell phone usage by students in their buildings. It's a fear-based mentatlity because of the potential problems, rather than considering the values to teaching and learning. Simply amazing. It's given me direction, and more important, reflection on how I can incorporate into my practice and modeling for teachers, and how to help my young children grow and learn. Looooove it!

2 comments:

  1. I loved the "cell phone" assignment suggestion. I can just picture the classroom.. "Students, please get out your cell phone...." Click, click, rrriinnng, and then the shocked look in their attentive eyes waiting for the next instruction! My concern is the divide between the haves and have nots. Will schools be required to provide cell phones to each student so that no one is disadvantaged? How many years from now will this just be a silly comment? We can only guess how long it will take to have that AHA! moment when public education significantly prepares students for life after high school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the thoughts. Inequity always exists, like when we want students to read self-selected books. Not all students have books at home, or have access to the library, or can purchase books. How is that managed? We find a way, from checking out books or keeping some in the classroom, magazines, web zines, now online books--there are so many ways.
    Of course with internet access, some kids have cell phones with no data package other than texting. Those students might have to use the classroom computer, media center, and/or library system if there is no support at home.

    I completely agree with your point about where will we be in 3 to 5 years. 3-5 years ago surfing the internet by phone was an idea. For some, an expensive option. Now cost is no longer a big issue.

    A big, big, big, issue is changing school attitudes about cell phones in schools. Several schools suspend students who enter the building with a cell phone. Hmmmmmm, how does that impact learning?

    ReplyDelete